Prof. Bruce S. Dunn, UCLA
|Professor Bruce S. Dunn
Tel. (310) 825-1519
FAX (310) 206-7353
Professor; Ph.D. 1974 University of California, Los Angeles: Electrical and optical properties of inorganic solids; Sol-gel derived materials; Solid electrolytes and battery electrode materials; Biomimetic materials systems.
Research in the Dunn group involves the synthesis of inorganic and hybrid materials and characterization of their electrical and optical properties. The various areas are described in greater detail on our lab page and representative publications are listed below. One of the principal themes which extends to most of the research activities is the use of sol-gel methods to synthesize a number of the materials studied in the group (see: http://www.solgel.com/educational for background on the sol-gel process). This synthetic approach enables us to prepare materials which incorporate a wide variety of organic and biological dopants and are capable of developing unique microstructures and properties.
Area of Thesis Guidance
Solid electrolytes, electrical properties of ceramics and glasses, ceramic-metal bonding, optical materials.
- T-J. M. Luo, R. Soong, E. Lan, B. Dunn and C. Montemagno, “Photo-Induced Proton Gradients and ATP Biosynthesis Produced by Vesicles Encapsulated in a Silica Matrix”, Nature Materials 4, 220 (2005).
- D. Sun, C-W. Kwon, G. Baure, E. Richman, J. MacLean, B. Dunn and S.H. Tolbert, “The Relationship Between Nanoscale Structure and Electrochemical Properties of Vanadium Oxide Nanorolls”, Advanced Functional Materials 14, 1197 (2004).
- C. Wang, L. Taherabadi, G. Jia, M. Madou, Y. Yeh, and B. Dunn, “C-MEMS for the Manufacture of 3D Microbatteries”, Electrochem. and Solid-State Letts. 7, A435 (2004)
- J.W. Long, B. Dunn, D.R. Rolison and H.S. White, “Three-Dimensional Battery Architectures”, Chem. Rev. 104, 4463 (2004).
- B.O. Skadtchenko, M. Trudeau, C-W. Kwon, B. Dunn and D. Antonelli, “Synthesis and Electrochemistry of Li-and Na-Fulleride Doped Mesoporous Ta Oxides”, Chem. Mater. 16, 2886 (2004)
- J. C. Zhou, M. H. Chuang, E. H. Lan, B. Dunn, P. L. Gillman, S. M. Smith, “Immunoassays for Cortisol using Antibody-Doped Sol-Gel Silica”, J. Mater. Chem. 14, 2311 (2004)
- J.L. Rickus, P.L. Chang, A. J. Tobin, J.I. Zink and B. Dunn, "Photochemical Coenzyme Regeneration in an Enzymatically Active Optical Material" J. Phys. Chem. B. 108, 9325 (2004).
- G. Sudant, E. Baudrin, B. Dunn and J-M. Tarascon, “Synthesis and Electrochemical Properties of Vanadium Oxide Aerogels Prepared by a Freeze Drying Process”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 151, A666 (2004)
- L. D. Noailles, H-h. Peng, J. Starkovich and B. Dunn, “Thermal Expansion and Phase Formation of ZrW2O8 Aerogels”, Chem. Mater. 16, 1252 (2004)
- J. Deval, T.A. Umali, E.H. Lan, B. Dunn and C-H. Ho, “Reconfigurable Hydrophobic/Hydrophilic Surfaces in Microelectromechanical Systems”, J. Micromech. Microeng. 14, 91 (2004).
- R. Hart, H.S. White, B. Dunn and D.R. Rolison, “3D Microbatteries”, Electrochem. Comm. 5, 120 (2003).
- J.S. Sakamoto and B. Dunn, “Hierarchical Electrodes Based on Inverted Opal Structures”, J. Mater. Chem. 12, 2859 (2002)
- J.-A. Paik, S.-K. Fan, C.-J. Kim, M.C. Wu and B. Dunn, “Micromachining of Mesoporous Oxide Films for MEMS Structures” J. Mater. Res. 17, 2121 (2002).
- P. N. Minoofar, R. Hernandez, S. Chia, B. Dunn, J. I. Zink, and A-C. Franville, “Placement and Characterization of Pairs of Luminescent Molecules in Spatially Separated Regions of Nanostructured Thin Films,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124, 14388 (2002)
- J. Sakamoto and B. Dunn, “Vanadium Oxide – Carbon Nanotube Composite Electrodes for Use in Secondary Lithium Batteries”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 149, A 26 (2002)
- D.R. Rolison and B. Dunn, “Electrically Conductive Aerogels: New Materials in Electrochemistry”, J. Mater. Chem. 11, 963 (2001).
- Dunn, B.S., "Applications of Ceramic Science to Dental Porcelain" Dental Porcelain: The State of the Art, Yamada, H.N., and Grenoble, P.B., 42-53 (1977)
- Dong, W. and Dunn, B., "Sol-Gel Modified
Electrode Films", In: Encyclopedia of Electrochemistry, Bard, A. and Stratman,
M.(Eds.), Weinhem, Germany: Wiley VCH, 10 (2006)
- Lan, E.H., Dunn, B. and Zink, J.I.,
"Nanostructured Systems for Biological Materials", In: Protein Nanotechnology,
Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, Vo-Dinh, T.(Eds.): , 53-79 (2005)
- Dunn, B., Bonet, F., Noailles, L. and Tang, P., "Using Mesoporous Nanoarchitectures to Improve Battery Performance, in Nanotechnology and the Environment: Applications and Implications", In: American Chemical Society, Washington, B. Karn, T. Masciangioli, W-X Zhang, V. Colvin and P. Alivasatos (Eds.): (2004)
- Rickus, J.L., Dunn, B. and Zink, J.I.,
"Optically Based Sol-Gel Biosensor Materials, in Optical Biosensors: Present and
Future", In: Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, Ligler, F.S. and Rowe-Taitt,
C.A.(Eds.): , 427-456 (2002)
- Dave, B.C., Dunn, B., Valentine, J.S., Zink, J.I., "Sol-Gel Matrices for Protein Entrapment, Book Chapter in Immobilized Biomolecules in Analysis: A Practical Approach" Oxford Press, Oxford, Cass, T., and Ligler, F.S., 113-134 (1998)
- Yamane, M., Schmidt, H.K., Pope, E.J.A.,
Mackenzie, J.D., Dunn, B., "Sol-Gel Optics IV" Proc. of SPIE, Bellingham, WA,
1997, 3136 (1997)
- Dave, B.C., Dunn, B., Zink, J.I., "Chemical
and Electrochemical Reactions in Porous Sol-Gel Materials, Book Chapter in
Access in Nanoporous Materials, Fundamental Materials Research" Plenum Press,
New York, Pinnavaia, T., and Thorpe, M., II:141 - 159 (1995)
- Zink, J.I., Dunn, B., "Sol-Gel Encapsulated
Molecules: Optical Probes and Optical Properties, Book Chapter in Sol-Gel Optics
- Processing and Applications" Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, Klein,
- Dunn, B.S., Huston, R.L., Mackenzie, J.D.,
"Structure and Secondary Emission from Glass, Book Chapter in The Structure of
Non-Crystalline Materials" London, Gaskell, P.H., 131-134 (1977)
- Dunn, B.S., Mackenzie, J.D., "Structure and Ionic Properties of Glass, Book Chapter in Int. Review of Science, Electrochemistry" Buttersworth, London, Bockris, J. O'M, 6:231 - 276 (1976)
- Fulbright research fellowship (1986),
- Invited professorship at the University
of Paris (1991-3, 1998)
- Invited professorship at the University of Bordeaux (2000),
- Allied Signal
Faculty Award (1997)
- DOE Award for Outstanding Research in Materials
Science (1995, 1998).
|MAT SCI 104||Science of Engineering Materials|
|MAT SCI 131||Diffusion and Diffusion-Controlled Reactions|
|MAT SCI 120||Physics of Materials|
|MAT SCI 200||Principles of Materials Science I|
|MAT SCI 246B||Structure and Properties of Glass|
- 3121-B Engineering V
- UCLA, HSSEAS School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
410 Westwood Plaza
3111 Engineering V
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1595